Recovering from a personal injury can be emotionally and physically exhausting. While the trauma may be lasting, the financial effects shouldn’t be. Deciding on a lawyer for your personal injury case is one of the most important steps in getting your life back on track. Here are a few traits and qualities to look for in your Missouri personal injury lawyer.
Knowing a lawyer’s background is important. Because law practice is highly specialized, you will want to look for a lawyer who has experience representing plaintiffs in personal injury cases.
Here are a few questions you can ask yourself when determining a lawyer’s experience:
- How long has the lawyer been practicing in my hometown?
- Does the firm specialize in personal injury cases?
- How many personal injury cases has the lawyer taken on?
- Do they represent plaintiffs like me, or do they take the side of insurance companies?
Once you’ve determined your lawyer is experienced, you can look at other aspects of their practice.
Lawyers may have experience representing personal injury plaintiffs, but it’s important they know all the types of personal injury cases that can occur. No two cases are the same. Whether it’s a motor vehicle accident, medical malpractice, or a slip-and-fall, your lawyer should know the ins and outs of each type of accidental injury so they can best represent your interests.
Statute of limitations is another area in which a lawyer should be knowledgeable. Missouri law allows a plaintiff five years from the time a personal injury occurs to be brought to court. A lawyer who knows and understands the timeline of your case will be able to keep you on track and make sure your case is heard. That way, you can focus on your recovery while your personal injury lawyer takes legal action.
While it may seem obvious, you will want a lawyer who is a good communicator. During your personal injury case, your lawyer serves as your primary voice—arguing on your behalf to win your deserved compensation. A lawyer with strong communication skills will also be able to understand you better on both a professional and personal level. In return, they will understand how to best represent you, have better interactions with others in the courtroom, and accurately relay your information in a professional manner to ensure you win your case.
Other Qualities to Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer
There are many interpersonal skills required of a quality personal injury lawyer. Once you’ve narrowed them down based on their level of experience, knowledge, and communication, there are a few more qualities you will want to look out for.
- Active Listener – Active listening is when someone listens and responds to create a mutual understanding. Rather than being passive, an active listener will let you know they understand and empathize with you. A lawyer who actively listens will be the most prepared to represent you because they will have a deep understanding of all the information about your case.
- In-Depth Investigator – A civil suit requires the maximum amount of information. This includes not just personal testimonies, but also legal documents including police or incident reports and photo, video, or audio of the scene. The best personal injury lawyers will make sure they’ve spent the time and effort collecting as much evidence as possible and won’t go to trial until they’re absolutely sure your case is ready.
- Assertiveness – Assertiveness doesn’t mean aggressiveness. Instead, being assertive means efficiently defending a point of view. You want a personal injury lawyer who isn’t afraid to stand up to big insurance companies. It’s important that they display assertiveness to fight for your rights and receive the best outcome in court.
Your Cape Girardeau, MO Personal Injury Lawyers
The attorneys at Lanzotti & Rau have been handling personal injury cases in the Southeastern Missouri area for decades. We’ve seen all kinds of personal injury cases, from medical malpractice to workplace injuries, so we’re prepared to get justice for you.
If you’re ready to receive compensation for your personal injury, call us today at 573-335-9300 to schedule a free consultation. We are happy to answer any questions about our personal injury cases and the legal services we provide.