Getting injured on the job isn’t an uncommon problem in the workforce. Missouri residents receive various benefits from workers’ compensation to help them get through their recovery. However, some cases close with a settlement, which can take weeks or months to finish the full process. This happens because many injured workers wait to finish their claim until after the point of Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI), which is when you have healed as much as possible and doctors have helped you as much as they can.
Calculating workman compensation settlements considers different factors. The following is an idea of how you can roughly calculate your Missouri workers’ comp settlements.
Calculating Workers’ Comp Settlements in Missouri
Once you have reached MMI, then you can settle your case. MMI considers the severity of your injury to determine how long you will receive workers’ compensation. The doctor first has to rate what your percentage of disability will be from the following choices:
- Permanent Total Disability means you cannot return to any employment. You can receive weekly benefits as long as you stay permanently and totally disabled.
- Permanent Partial Disability means you can no longer perform certain tasks or jobs. You will receive your benefits in a lump sum.
Missouri Workers’ Comp Settlement Calculation Formula
The formula to calculate your workers’ compensation settlement consists of three parts.
- The first part takes into consideration the injured part of the body. There’s a certain number of weeks connected to each body part.
- The second part depends on the percentage of your injured body part.
- Part three of the formula is dependent upon your compensation rate. Usually, your compensation rate is 2/3 of your average weekly wage.
Once all of your numbers and rates have been calculated, they will be multiplied to get your estimated settlement amount.
Hire an Effective Missouri Workers Compensation Attorney
The best way to handle your workers’ compensation claim is by hiring experienced attorneys at Lanzotti & Rau. Our Missouri workers’ compensation attorneys can help you navigate the complex process of workers’ compensation claims and provide you with steadfast legal action to receive compensation for your on-the-job injury.